Thursday, October 23, 2014

Vegan mayo and no fish tunafish


I turn to food when I am upset, but I prefer to cook and create something when my soul needs to be soothed; comfort foods that I used to eat as a meatatarian need to be replicated. I hardly ate tuna fish salad before because it was too difficult to keep fresh/spoils easily without a fridge, smelled potent ("oh you're having tuna today?" while the smell of fish cloys up your cubicle and you blush violently) and gave me ferocious heartburn.

These versions are easy to make, do not have a fish-in-your-face odor, and totally vegan. I made them both in an hour, only because I soaked the seeds for 15 mins instead of 4.  I never have all the ingredients and end up substituting out so many items that it really becomes my own, but here is the original:

http://www.theppk.com/2013/07/homemade-grapeseed-mayonnaise/.com.

I did not have grapeseed oil or whole almonds (I used almond meal).


I started off with 1/4 cup soy milk. Then I added 1.5 tablespoon of ground golden flax seed. I food processed them to death, as I want to blend the flax as well as I can. It still ended up visible in the end product though. I don't mind, I like texture anyways. Then I added a teaspoon of each: salt, onion powder, ground mustard powder and 2 teaspoons of Stevia (sugar). Mix or pulse those in for another couple seconds.



I mixed half vegetable and olive together to get 3/4 of a cup. Mix in slowly as you pulse, like a couple tablespoons at a time (recipe called for a cup, i got away with 1/4 less, and maybe more if I didn't have such a heavy hand, plus now in retrospect I might have used half a cup and added some water and a couple tablespoons of soy lecithin instead). Dribble, pulse and repeat until it starts forming into a gelatinous mass. Mine thickened pretty quickly, actually. It will get thicker once you set that bad boy in the fridge for a couple hours; let the flavors blend, mellow and rest while chilling because it does seem too salty right after whipping it up.


Original recipe for tuna: http://ohmyveggies.com/vegan-tuna-salad/

Now...for the tuna fish part. Soaked sunflower seeds (2 cups) and process it. It amazingly already looks like tuna fish!


Food process up a bunch of celery and some onions. I used bulb onions, but you can use red onions too. I also added a cup of almond meal and a splash of water. I put the nuts, meal, celery and onions in a bowl and mixed by hand.



The juice of a whole lemon finishes it.

The key to this recipe is in the mayo, as it magically fools the eyes and taste buds to believing its the real thing. I do feel better after whipping this up. I ate the plated sample (first pic of this blog) in 15 seconds or less after I snapped the shot.




No comments:

Post a Comment