Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Dry me a river

Ok. It's supposed to be cry me a river but I have been maniacally drying since I've gotten my food dehydrator. It was just such a chore to cook tofu; the water content is a dilly to get out and I just can't be using then oven every day in this Texas heat. The world of raw foods has opened up to me.


I make a batch of tofu jerky nearly every day because its the main source of protein whilst I ease into this vegan thing. I am still new and feel that I NEED a main meat-based centerpiece in order to feel satisfied. I do understand that protein lives in vegetables and its not necessary to insist on a 'main' centerpiece but I do feel like I am eating side dishes all the time. 


This tofu jerky is easier for me to make because I dont have to crank the oven on or pre-press/dry the tofu before preparation. Its very liquidy and crumbly, so dehydrating it is an easy way to get it to firm up. I have discovered that going light on the oil is better because it tends to dribble out once the liquid dissapates.



My flax crackers are so easy to make. They have hardly any carb at all, plus they are heavy on omega 3, for those who fear the lack of eggs and fish oils would be deficient in a vegan diet (it's not if you get a good smattering variety of all plant based foods). Just mix enough water to create a paste with golden ground flaxseed and spread on Saran Wrap lining. It didn't take long to finish drying; i approximate 5-6 hours. 


Frankenfood? Nope! Its fruit leather! Similar to commercially purchased Fruit Roll-Ups, you can customize and omit sugar to your heart's content. I had a couple cans of pumpkin puree that I added applesauce to...voila! 



I also had some blueberries that I mushed up in a food processor and added some more appesauce; the berries were very tart so mixing them in the applesauce saved me from wasting them! When making fruit leather, I line the tray with Saran Wrap and make sure to cut the hole in the center. Additionally you can remove the wrap and flip about halfway through to get it to dry faster. 


I do realize the end result is ugly because I had some chunks of carrot mixed with the applesauce and pumpkin purée. At this point, anything sweet really registers because I have successfully detoxed off sugar for a long time now. Even a teeny bit makes me want to Chuck Norris roundhouse kick; aka folies Bergere. Sorry for that visual ha ha ha 


I purchased my dehydrator for about $44. Admittedly, its not very sophisticated and it does make a hummy noise but I've had such a jolly good time dehydrating anything I can get my hands on. No more wasted fruits and veg!  Banana and pear chips came out awesome






No comments:

Post a Comment