Tuesday, September 9, 2014

evolve day 3

Vegan Falafel
Besides my usual soy powder, oat flour and chia seed gel pancake, I made chickpea felafel. Instead of gluten bread crumbs, I subbed ground golden flax seed, and for the egg to bind, chia seed gel. They are 50/50 chick peas and grated carrots so they are lighter than normal. I used curry powder to season it. Seared in a pan, they stuck together nicely because of the chia and flaxseed. The last time I made these, I used quinoa and spinach...a bad combo because they didn't want to stay in patty shapes. The chia gives them a little crunchy factor. YUM


As Michael Jackson crooned......

No One Wants To Be Defeated
Showin' How Funky
Strong Is Your Fight, It Doesn't Matter Who's Wrong Or Right

Just Beet It, Beet It


So I had beets that have been lurking in my vegetable bin because my husband wanted to juice them. I knew it wasn't going to happen because A. raw beet juice tastes nasty, B. its frighteningly red and bloody, C. is waaay to exotic for his simple taste buds. Its got a weird, earthy and mineral-like flavor...kind of gross to me actually. They taste like dirt!

I used my mandolin veggie slicer (the one that makes me shudder because its claimed the tip of my finger before and took a month to regenerate) to get thin as possible slices. Then they were in the food dehydrator (my love) for about 4 hours...and they actually taste pretty good! The dirty flavor is toned down and the red juice is dried up. The juice actually stained my fingers for a few hours and did cause some duress; bright bloody fingers contrasted with my eggshell white nail polish. The slices were dipped in white vinegar (or apple cider vinegar, but I didn't have any) for like 1 min before placing them on the dehydrator racks.

Here is my dinner tonight.
Tofu dried in the dehydrator flavored with lite soy sauce and liquid smoke and the beet chips.





No comments:

Post a Comment