Today I curried some veg and tofu. You can pretty much curry anything. Zucchini, leeks and dehydrated tofu curry are complimented by fluffy cauliflower 'rice' to make this super low carb.There are commercially made curry pastes out there and are much easier than the old fashioned method I use. Patak makes a great line of curry pastes. If you choose to use a paste, you can eliminate the 45 mins of simmer time to less than half of that time; you don't need to meld the seasonings with time, as they are already ready as is.

I started off with evoo and leeks. Then when the leeks were translucent, I added the tofu (cut into 1x1 inch squares) which are sturdier than Firm because they were dehydrated first. Its just easier for me this way. I don't have to press and dry the cube, which takes an extra 30 mins. Then toss i the zucchini. At this point you want to add the curry powder. I know it seems weird, but it has to go in now. I used about two tablespoons. I usually use Indian curry, but this is Vietnamese curry. I was worried the anise would be weird, but it isnt. I also had to drop in a bouillon cube, as the lack of a meat and fats make a tofu curry bland and boring. It just needs a little help, but its worth it.
My secret weapon is 'Rotel' style diced tomato and chiles. It gives it the perfect heat. Exciting!
Then simmer your creation for 45 mins until it all meshes together. If you don't, the curry powder will be bitter and gritty. A good high simmer too, not just a 2 or 3 on an electric stovetop. I did mine at 3-4 and added extra water to make sure it would be enough to soak into the veg and tofu. I would say about 2/3 cup to 1 cup.
Now, with all this heat and excitement, you need something to anchor to. Something starchy if you can handle the carbs because its usually a bed of basmati rice. In my case it is jasmine rice, the fuel of my life, or former life, as I do not eat rice with every meal as I did from the ages of 2-3 years old to 40. Its been several years since I've removed this starchy/sugary item from my diet. Its not worth it for me, to eat only a couple tablespoons. I would rather not eat it at all If I cant enjoy it fully. Most Asians eat a cup or so each meal. Its amazing how they do stay so thin; this Asian (me) gets the super chunk and start getting thick again. Oh no!
It makes a total mess, but I use a food processor to get the pieces so tiny. Then I put in a covered microwavable bowl with a splash of water for a few mins...get it to steam up....and voila! No carb cauliflower rice!
I have to say making curry from powder (slow method) does take a little practice. I have wasted my fair share when learning how to make this, as I had to teach myself. I had no proper Indian mother to show me how to make Dahl or Aloo Gobi :( I have no interest in Filipino food, strangely enough.
My mother was a microbiologist and was busy saving the world, one contagion identification at a time. She basically told the doctors what she saw in the blood and told them what was wrong with the patients as well as working with CDC (Center for Disease Control). I have nothing but pure gratitude for the service she served humanity. She retired from Ben Taub in 2010 after working at the Texas Medical center (MD Anderson back in the 80's, The Methodist and part time at St Lukes in the 90's and she finished at Ben Taub the last 15 years).





No comments:
Post a Comment