When bad things happen, my mother used to say the devil is 'visiting' that household. Well, it's true; Seitan has come knocking on my door.
Bad? What could be bad about a protein source derived from wheat? Vital wheat gluten. Ah ha! That material we demonize as GLUTEN. Yes it's true. It's the G-word.
But wait! Don't discount this yet! The macronutrients are phenomenal
Image is from honeyville.com's 3 lb. vital wheat gluten canister. It's only $12.99 + $4.99 flat ship fee! wheeeee!!!
Not bad eh? Even if G is the spawn of the devil for those with celiac sensitivity/allergies. For us who have jumped on the GF bandwagon for no other reason than carb watching or trying to get more veg in/less enriched flour than this might be a notable note!
Firstly, boil up a veggie stock. I'm super lazy and used onion soup mix.

Then, take a cup of VWG (vital wheat gluten) and spice it up. I used the recipe on Bob Mills VWG; onion powder, sage, marjorum and garlic powder. Take a cup of water and mix it in. Don't use too much water. The dough is gonna be super bouncy and brain-like. It was ugly, y'all.
I cut into a dozen pieces and put in the boiling onion soup mix.
Before.
1 hour later it soaked up all the liquid and got huge!
At this point you can use em as you wish...bake, broil, batter and fry, whatever. I've seen recipies for BBQ spare ribs made from VWG (ingenious!!!!) as well as burgers, meatloaf, stir fry etc...you get the picture. Very flexible and has a little more substantial gusto than soy and tofu.
I decided to make Seitan Jerky! You know how I love my food
dehydrator! Put slices in baggie and toss up with teriyaki soy sauce. Cut into 1/4" slices and dry em out.
Evolve detox forbids gluten. I am, yet again, violating the rules. But since it's not meat and am honoring my ethical vegan(no suffering moral code)...whatever. It's a violation. I beg you to forgive me, as I am SOY-ed to death! Tofu is so bland and not satisfying at all. Plus I am suspecting my recent bloated midsection to consuming way to much of one thing. Variety is healthy!
Unless the evil G decides to stick it to my intestines, I will have to wait and see.
Do I need the rites of exorcism to remove the demons from my guts?
We will see...










No comments:
Post a Comment