Thursday, September 25, 2014

evolve day 19: abominable agar cups


So I decide to make agar chia protein cups. Abomination of agar seaweed for a vegan 'gelatin' base mixed with chia gel and some scoops of whey protein powder. Agar agar is seaweed and vegan, unlike Jello or gelatin, which is boiled animal bones. 

This is one of my creations that shocks my husband; he says it does not look edible or appetizing at all. I have to agree a little bit; agar agar sets at room temperature, unlike gelatin, which needs to be chilled and kept cold in order to stay solid. The chia seed looks like tadpoles incubating in a petrie dish. The whey powder gives it a curdled appearance. 


I get the agar agar at the asian food store. I have been looking for powder agar agar for a while with no avail. It is the consistency of styrofoam, like a cheap beer cooler. The color is ghastly bright orange. 


I cut half off with scissors; 7 oz of dried seaweed agar is all I need for 4 cups of liquid. this liquid was 1 cup chia gel to 3 cups water. The chia gel is 1 cup water to 4 tablespoons seeds, soaked overnight. 


Tadpoles? No. Ch-ch-ch-CHIA!


Incorporate the agar agar into the boiling water and chia gel. It will melt in and the water will be thicker and colored dark and orange. 


Toss in four scoops of whey protein powder. I had to use the hand mixer because it didnt want to blend well at all; superchunk is not desireable. You want smooth. 


I poured the concoction into sillicone cupcake liners. Love these little sillicone cups so much. I use them for so many things. 

They dont need to be refridgerated, so they just hung out on my countertop until they set; they reached room temps in about an hour or so. Cool, because my refrigerator is so full. 


The agar agar has hardly any calories at all, and is fillling; if you have problems feeling hungry, agar agar is the way to go. It makes you feel full!



Did I scare you with this weird food? I didn't mean to, but they are odd little things. 








No comments:

Post a Comment