Quinoa crust leek tofu quiche, the stuff nightmares are made of. Frankenfood at its finest; this mish-mash has a peanuty crunch from a graham cracker-like crust and a leeky creamy quichesque filling.

Firstly, the quinoa is roasted very lightly (medium heat, five mins or less, and stir stir stir) before grinding in a coffee grinder. The quinoa resists; random grains jump out of the pan, seemingly trying to escape its fate. Reference Jessica Biel's performance in one of the remakes of Texas Chainsaw Masacre, although Renee Zellweger did a fine, but comical rendition herself.
The little grains dont like this step. You will have a mass exodus around the pan. They pop like popcorn. You can almost hear the tiny screams.
They did not like the food processor, as they were able to escape the wrath of these blades, but their fate caught up with them in the coffee grinder.

Its whipped up in a frenzy now.
So now its crumbly and moist, in perfect condition to press into a pie pan. You can see it in the picture where I sautee the leeks. Once that is done, blend a tub of soft tofu and season as you wish. I added a little cayenne (ooooeeee) and some nutritional yeast to cheese it up.


The final step is to layer the filling in the crust and bake 45 mins at 350 degrees. I did bake the crust 15 mins at 350 degrees prior to the filling.
I made two things today; hummus was a super quick and easy fix for my afternoon snacking. I had a bag of pita chips that I did not check to see if it had glutens. grrrr....but surely am not going to be tempted by the half dozen cupcakes that made it back from Sunday's party.

If there was an apocolypse or global nuclear warfare, one food item that surely would survive is tahini. This tub I have had for years now and it does not go bad.

I did not have paprika, so I used chilli powder instead. Its just for looks anyways.
I like to make my own hummus because I add very minimum olive oil and amp up the lemon instead. It lightens it up.
Dramatic hummus on chip,
you look good to me.
Did you like my haiku, friend?
I am reading Shogun by James Clavel right now. I additionally amped up the cheese with my Japanese inspired poetry. Yea, I know...im weird like that.
8 servings.







No comments:
Post a Comment